Maybe you don't ever feel that way, but that's my usual modus operandi. Part of the reason is because I am not very assertive, nor am I very loud. My voice is quiet and I am a rather small person. Sometimes I think I could be the only person in a crowd to yell "Fire" and never get caught.
When someone else is talking, I tend to defer and simply listen. Consequently, I am considered a very good listener. What people often don't know is that sometimes I'm not really listening anymore. I'm either thinking "but, but, but..." or "Geez, when are they going to stop!" But my eyes make contact. I look engaged. I respond accordingly. Sometimes I feel like Homer Simpson listening to Mrs. Crobapple: "blah blah blah blah blah..." I really do have attention deficit issues. It's not that I don't care about what people say. I really do care. I really do listen when people speak. I want to know what's happening. If I can help, I want to do that. It's just that I allow dominant people to take over a conversation, and so then my mind just starts to wander. Conversations really require a give-and-take to be successful conversations.
My passivity has always gotten the best of me. I have deferred to people when they were unscrupulous to me. Even when I knew they were outright wrong or cruel, I just let them say whatever they wanted to say. This is one aspect to my personality that I really want to work on. If someone says something out of line, I need to be able to assert myself. I should call their attention to it.
I'm just a little tired of being seen as a kitchen mop. But as long as I don't speak up for myself, I'll keep getting sopping wet.
Whew! Your last two postings are hard to read. I know I have always been loud and obnoxious and as my 'supervisor' said to me, "I always know what you think." I have your opposite problem. I always found you to be quiet but mighty. To me you are soft spoken but your carefully considered words have volume. I have always thought you are heard precisely because you do not raise your voice. It's interesting how we see ourselves, isn't it? Hang in there:)
ReplyDeleteThanks! A lot of what I post is part of my healing process. Not all of what I think is negative, though. I'm still growing.
ReplyDelete